*** This cooking blog is being maintained as a recipe archive for now. For current posts, please visit my main blog, Tiny Blessings! ***

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sausage Pizzaiola Subs- my way

Last Sunday, I wanted to make this Sausage Pizzaiola Subs recipe, but I didn't have the right ingredients on hand. So, I improvised, and we really enjoyed the results. Here's the recipe, done my way:

Amy's Sausage Pizzaiola Subs
1 lb. hot and spicy ground pork sausage
1 can diced tomatoes with peppers and onions (undrained)
1 large onion, sliced into rings
canned jalapeno pepper slices, to taste
hoagie buns= I got four large sandwiches out of this, using 8" buns
two slices provolone cheese per sandwich
  • Brown sausage in skillet & drain grease. When browned, add in canned tomatoes/ pepper/ onions with juice and seasonings. Simmer until thickened.
  • In another small skillet, saute onion rings with a small amount of olive oil. Season to taste with garlic-pepper and salt. Cook until onions become translucent and remove from heat.
  • Meanwhile, toast buns under broiler. (I spritz mine with a bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray before toasting.) Top toasted buns with sausage mixture, then cheese, and pop back under the broiler for a few minutes to melt cheese. Finish off sandwiches with sauted onions and jalapeno slices. Enjoy!

I think this might also be good with some pepperoni or mushrooms added in. At any rate, it was easy and tasty!

No comments: