*** This cooking blog is being maintained as a recipe archive for now. For current posts, please visit my main blog, Tiny Blessings! ***

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Broccoli Nemo Soup :)

Yup, you read that right, Nemo. nemo
Don't worry, I'm just using Nemo-shaped pasta... no adorable orange fish were harmed in the invention of this recipe. :)

Do you ever just start throwing things together in a pot and call it lunch? I do it all the time, LOL! Today was one of those days... I knew I wanted broccoli soup, but I didn't have the ingredients on hand to do my usual recipes. So, I started playing around, and came up with a recipe of my own. I'm posting it here because both kids loved it, and I might want to recreate it again one day.

Amy's Broccoli- Nemo Soup: In a large stockpot, add about 3 cups of water and one box of frozen broccoli. Turn heat to high and simmer until broccoli is broken up a bit and partially cooked. Add in two teaspoons chicken bouillon paste and half a box of Nemo-shaped pasta. Stir it all together and add a little more water if needed. Let simmer for a few minutes, then add in about 3/4 cup cream soup base and, on a whim, about 1/3 cup instant potato flakes. Stir it, decide it needs more of a cream base, then add in about a cup of milk. Keep simmering. Add in about two tablespoons dried minced onion and stir well. Taste to see if pasta is done yet. If so, add in about four slices of diced Velveeta. Stir until cheese is melted and then serve. (And in my case, place the kids' bowls in the freezer for a minute because they're both underfoot & starving, and the soup is too hot to serve.) Garnish with choice of shredded cheddar cheese (me), croutons (me) and/or CheezIt crackers (kids).

Obviously, all measurements could be adjusted to taste, and I'm pretty sure that any cartoon-shaped pasta of your choice could be used. ;)


No comments: