*** This cooking blog is being maintained as a recipe archive for now. For current posts, please visit my main blog, Tiny Blessings! ***

Monday, March 3, 2008

My Famous (Infamous?) Chicken Enchiladas

Amy's Famous Chicken Enchiladas
4 chicken breasts, cubed
small amount olive oil (to cook chicken)
1 cup sour cream (I use light)
2 cans cream of chicken soup (cr mushroom also works, we like the chicken better)
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 frozen bag chopped three color peppers & onions (obviously could use fresh peppers & onions, but I never have enough fresh on hand)
1 teaspoon each: chili powder, Spicy Mrs Dash, garlic, Hot Shot (red/black pepper mix)
8- 8" flour tortillas
1 (16 ounce) bag shredded cheddar cheese

Mix together in bowl sour cream and cream of chicken soup & set aside. Cook Chicken breast pieces in olive oil. When cooked, add chili peppers, peppers, onions, and spices, and simmer until cooked through. Remove chicken mixture from heat and add about 2 tablespoons of sour cream/soup mixture to chicken. In each tortilla place a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture and about a tablespoon of cheese. Wrap tortillas up, and place them in a 9x13" dish. (Do not layer tortillas.) After filling each tortilla cover them with the remaining sour cream and soup mixture. Cover casserole with foil, and place in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, cover tortillas with remaining cheese, and return to oven until cheese is melted.

My family loves this & requests it often- both at home and at family gatherings. Even people who claim not to like Mexican food seem to like this. I usually serve this with stewed tomatoes, and either rice or sweet corn cake.

The original recipe that I based this on was posted on RecipeZaar, but I've changed it enough that I feel justified in calling it my own now. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Rena said...

I linked over from Meal Plan Monday a while back and found this recipe. I finally fixed it tonight and it was a big hit at our house. My husband said it tasted like eating out. Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely cook this again.