*** This cooking blog is being maintained as a recipe archive for now. For current posts, please visit my main blog, Tiny Blessings! ***

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Del Monte Savory Sides: Review

I picked up a can of Del Monte Savory Sides Santa Fe Corn last week at the local discount store. It contains corn, black beans, and peppers... it seemed like a great side for the Mexican food we love.

So, we tried it last night along with a tortilla casserole. On the can there's a picture of lovely bright yellow corn with the red peppers making a very attractive plate. Not so much when I opened the can... everything inside had a dark brown color. Definitely not an attractive presentation.

The flavor wasn't bad, actually, but I was the only one who thought so-- neither my husband or my 4 year-old daughter liked it. I tried mixing it with rice to soak up some of the sauce, which did help a little with making it look better. The flavor was about what you'd expect with a "southwest" side dish- a little like taco sauce, but more bland.

So, since I was the only one who ate it, I won't be buying this product again. That's ok, though... I always enjoy trying something new!
P.S. I'm not being compensated in any way for this review... just expressing my personal opinion!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also came across Del Monte Savory Sides Santa Fe corn at a discount store and tried it at home as a topping for my nachos and they were the best I have ever made. My wife loved them as well! I am considering adding them to the nachos sold in our concessions business!