*** This cooking blog is being maintained as a recipe archive for now. For current posts, please visit my main blog, Tiny Blessings! ***

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Way: The WW Macaroni Casserole

Well, I tried to be good, and use a low-points recipe for a creamy macaroni & chicken casserole. The trouble was, after I stirred it all together, I could tell that it was going to be way too bland for my family. So, as usual, I tweaked the recipe a bit to suit our tastebuds. Actually, it wound up being a lot like my favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe!
Here's the original recipe (in green) and my changes (in red):

WW Chicken and Cheese Casserole--6 pts. per serving (not my version!)-8 servings
2 C. Cooked macaroni (I actually used medium-sized shell pasta.)
2 C. cooked chicken, chopped (Mine was precooked, frozen, cubed chicken.)
2 C. cream of mushroom soup (I used 89% fat-free cream of chicken.)
2 C. skim milk
8 oz. low fat shredded cheddar cheese (I kept adding cheese... probably close to 3 cups total.)
I also added: around 3 TBSP of minced onion, a tsp of mustard, a few shakes of garlic pepper, and a light scattering of breadcrumbs on top of the casserole.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in large casserole dish. Bake, covered, 35-45 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes.

The heartier shell pasta was a nice change for us... I rarely buy shells for some reason. It worked well with the cubed chicken. Overall, we all really liked this, and I'll probably make it again!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Oh this is making hungry! Sounds good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)