*** This cooking blog is being maintained as a recipe archive for now. For current posts, please visit my main blog, Tiny Blessings! ***

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Terrible Biscuits: two lessons learned


So, did you know that shortening can become rancid? I didn't.

I had decided to make homemade biscuits to go with the sausage gravy I was making for supper last night. I've had a can of Crisco in my pantry forever (apparently), so long that I can't even remember the last time I used it for anything. (There weren't any dates on it, I checked.) Well, I mixed the dry ingredients for the biscuits and went to add in the Crisco, and it looked like petroleum jelly. And the smell... ugh... let's just say that there was no way anyone would want to eat anything that smelled like that. Yuck!

So, I did what any panic-stricken cook would do... I called my mom for advice. She said that she regularly swaps margarine for shortening in cookie recipes, so I decided to try that. Lesson #2: you can't swap margarine for shortening in a biscuit recipe. That's fine for cookies, but not for biscuits. They came out totally flat and with a very unpleasant texture. Ick. I had to trash the whole pan.

I know I'm not the only one who's had a total kitchen flop lately... care to share one of yours?

1 comment:

shoeaddict said...

Exact same thing- from rancid, petroleum jelly Crisco to the flat yucky finished biscuit- happened to me. My husband's grandmother makes "the best" biscuits and he wants me to make them too. So far, no luck!