*** This cooking blog is being maintained as a recipe archive for now. For current posts, please visit my main blog, Tiny Blessings! ***

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My Crockpot Meatballs and Gravy

I'm really off my menu plan this week.... that's the first time in a long time that's happened. DH is home on vacation this week, so our plans keep changing day-to-day. Anyways, I went to dig this recipe out of the archives of my old cooking blog, so I thought I'd post it here for future reference. This is something I made up using a combination of other recipes.

Amy's Crockpot Meatballs and Gravy
1 lb hamburger
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 cup water
1 family-sized can (or two normal sized cans) cream of mushroom soup
approx. 2 TBSP brown gravy mix (guess-timated amount, I use a few shakes out of a large canister- I'm guessing that one envelope would work)
1 onion, sliced
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
Combine ground beef and soup mix, then form into meatballs. Bake on a cookie sheet at 400 for about twenty minutes.
After meatballs are browned, dump them into the crockpot. Combine mushroom soup, water, and gravy mix and pour over meatballs. Add in mushrooms and onions. Cover and cook on high for about three hours, or on low all day.

I serve it over mashed potatoes, with a side of green beans. It's an easy recipe for a comfort food dinner!

2 comments:

PIERS PLOWMAN said...

I followed this recipe the other day and liked the combination of the Cream of Mushroom Soup and the Brown gravy. (I actually used an entire packet of the brown gravy powder and it tasted great). But I thought that the combination of the onion soup mix and the ground beef produced a dry and a not very tasty meatball. The meatballs should be savory and I think that they should be made the way that most meatballs are made with the inclusion of onions, eggs, and bread crumbs, salt and pepper. But I will follow this recipe again with my own adjustments.

TashaLee said...

I follwed recipe almost exactly. Except i added one egg and a few cracker crumbs to meatball mixture. turned out very moist. instead of using plain onion soup i used onion and garlic soup mix. very tasty. will be making again!